Old Colstonians: Your local Bristol Rugby Club!

Old Colstonians travelled to Cheltenham, for a top of the table clash with Smiths Industries RFC on Saturday. After their winning streak came to an end the previous weekend, courtesy of some questionable looking but well drilled chaps from Ross on Wye, the OC’s were determined to bounce back. The opening moments of the game were played at an intense pace on a noticeably wide pitch. This intensity was kept up throughout the entire 80 minutes and the onlooking supporters will confirm that this was a fierce contest between the two teams that were camped at the top of Gloucester 2.

Old Colstonians 2nd XV traveled down to Bristol Telephones, currently well clear at the top of their league, to play a friendly fixture shorn of a full compliment of players by a couple of late drop outs. As is often the case in these situations, the warm up lacked the required intensity, and saw the 14 men of Colstons on the back foot during the first 15 minutes, as a well drilled and physical Bristol Telephones exploited space out wide to score twice. From here, Colstons dug deep and managed to attain something close to parity against a good outfit with the game moving up and down the park due to a litany of penalties. A driving maul saw telephones touch down in the corner before some quick thinking from Bobby Naeem put Dylan Kaye over in the corner from a quick tap penalty. Colstons started the second half brightly and a strong run down the touchline by Rory Chappell, which left 4 defenders in his wake, gave OCs the field position for Kieran Laxen to beat his man and touch down under the posts. Although Bristol Telephones had long since evened up the numbers, and lent Colstons some quality players, the effects of playing with no substitutes began to tell, and more holes started to appear in defence. OCs wound up being outscored in both halves and losing 41-12 in the end, but it was a spirited performance that was a vast improvement on some of the early season games.

Unbeaten League leaders Old-Colstonian’s travelled to Westbury-on-Severn on Saturday for their first fixture of 2017.

A relentless blend of youthful optimism and park one café’s full English breakfast’s saw them return safely with a bonus point win, stretching their league record to 12 games from 12, pulling a further 7 points ahead of the runners up.

Saturdays game saw the unbeaten OC’s travel up to Minchinhampton in search of a win following their physical draw vs old E’s the week before. With the boys filled up on park one breakfasts they ventured up to Gloucester. The OC’s had a relatively quick start to the game (surprisingly) with Tim farmer crashing over the line from some good backs play and simple running rugby. The first half was the closer of the two, but the OC’s were always comfortably in the lead.  Minchinhampton scored two tries from good line out drives orchestrated by their forwards. But the OC’s had already secured their bonus point within the first 30 minutes through a further two tries from the relentless Tim Farmer and a good break through a narrow gap by James Wilson. Half time score 24-14.

Page 1 of 3